Re: Tensioner vs. Detensioner

Jerry in Houston wrote:

I keep seeing this device referred to as a
"tensioner", as if its vasic job is to provide tension
to the cam belt.  It is just the opposite,
For the record, I'm well aware of that fact. But it does obviously supply static tension. That's why when it fails you're screwed. So when people refer to it as a tensioner, I don't get upset about it.

The real problem is the number of timing belt teeth that engage the rear/right cam pulley. If the belt wrapped around the pulley more, as seen in other cars with timing belts, I think the whole setup would be more reliable. I've often thought that an idler pulley between the cams would work.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org