1750 starter symptoms

In a message dated 6/9/2003 1:48:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:42:49 EDT
> From: GModelle@domain.elided
> Subject: 1750 starter symptoms
>
> Gentle Alfisti,
> The beloved spider is showing some brief hesitation in responding to the
> starter switch, the key, that is. Sometimes the starter motor will not go at
> all,
> then it takes a try or two. Is the starter a serviceable item, and can the
> bushes, which I'm assuminmg to be on their way, be replaced?  Thanks Digest.
> You
> rock.
> modelle in Somers Point

       In my experience, the ignition switch is the first thing to fail.  Buy
a remote starter switch at any auto parts store.  Hook it to the starter and
see if it works better.
       I guess with a Spica car, you could remove the air cleaner and remove
the wire from the cold start.  Touch the cold start wire, which is an
extension of the solenoid activation wire and touch it to the battery cable connection
on the starter.  If it works fine, the problem is probably the ignition
switch.
       If the starter still acts funky, rebuild it.  I have had good success
just cleaning up the starter, sanding the comutator where the brushes run and
greasing the bearings.  If the brushes are too short, replace them.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City