From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Daegrigg (Don)
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 9:01 AM
To: Darren Leung
Cc: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: V6 tensioner -Last time

OK,

I hope this is my last post on this subject - at least for a while.

First,  Bill is no doubt adept at replacing and adjusting tensioners as
automotive engineering/repair seems to be a part of his vocation.  If you
read my original post, it refers to the Alfa Tech Bulletin (1.93.03).  This
tech bulletin is what you receive as instructions if you purchase a
mechanical tensioner from several familiar vendors.  It is also posted on a
number of web sites.

This is the procedure to which I referred as ambiguous and prone to
inaccurate adjustment of the tensioner.  Centerline and others agree and
have supplied better guidance.  Apparently the procedure Bill uses  sounds
pretty much like the Centerline procedure.  The procedure he refers to as
simple is not the TSB procedure.  Hence, my emphatic caveat.

Darren,   this topic was discussed in-depth about two months ago.  I don't
know if the archives have the current volume but here is a summary:

Tensioner options ( 3 types)  - Original hydraulic unit if you can find one,
New mechanical unit available from all major Alfa vendors, the ZAT unit from
Alfa Heaven that uses parts from the hydraulic unit.

All input seems to agree that correct adjustment is crucial;  that the
tensioner should be changed at regular service intervals ( some say every
belt change , others every 30-40k miles)

If done and maintained correctly,  the mechanical tensioner is reliable.

Don