Re: weekend in Milan

John:

Not heading for Milan until I retire and have more than a weekend in Europe to enjoy it. Diana and I both agree on that approach to traveling, weeks maybe even months . . . But I digress, so I saved your message to my keepers folder (as I do to many other of your well written and informative and factually reliable and interesting message but i I gush).

Questions: Is this Museo dell'Automobile Carlo Biscaretti da Ruffia (MCBR) well interpreted in English / multilingually so that the auto / Alfa lover would be able to glean the kernels you have mentioned in your post without a knowledgeable human guide? This relates to how one experiences of any collection, piece of literature, work of art. The viewer's experience, knowledge, what he/she brings to the experience adds that much to it. A well read in automotive history viewer might recognize and be excited by something which for the museum tourer/viewer relatively new/inexperienced to/in the items collected, presentation is the big issue. So as you recall it, does the MCBR just collect and label or is there much explanatory material accessible to us generally mono-lingual US residents?

Thanks as always for your knowledge and input,
Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX

If I had to chose one or the other I would skip the Alfa museum in favor of
the Museo dell'Automobile Carlo Biscaretti da Ruffia, Corso Unita d'Italia 40,
Turin, which is almost certainly the finest medium-sized automobile collection
in the world. The collection is international but naturally strongest in
Italian cars. It has just six or eight Alfas among its several hundred cars,
but it does an unmatchable job of putting Alfas into context with the entire
Italian industry- the Fiat which won the French GP in 1907, the Itala which
also in 1907 won the Peking-to-Paris race by two months over the second place
car, the Fiats Jano worked on before he came to Alfa, the great Lancias he
worked on after Alfa foolishly fired him, the OM and Maserati competitors of
Alfa's glory days, the Ferraris which came later, the mundane economy cars and
opulent luxury cars of the twenties and thirties, great competition cars from
recent decades, some great cars that didn't quite work- like the tiny,
beautiful, 1100 cc blown V12 fwd Itala GP car from 1927 - everything. And the
few Alfas it has are very fine, the real thing. One wing of the top floor,
devoted to chassis and engines, has two superb Jano chassis which you cannot
see at Arese, a bare Lancia Lambda, fine engines which would be impossible to
see anyplace else.

As always, but especially in Italy, things change; what is open this year is
not necessarily what was open last year or will be open next year, so it can
pay to check first.

Enjoy,

John H.