Alloy types used in Alfa motors (was: main bearing cap removal)

I appriciate all the suggestions..

Tom's is a good one.. I tried a vise grip and rag, and didn't get enough grip to get anywhere. I sure did not want to chew up my bearing cap!
The soft aluminum strip will be a good buffer, since that cap is HARD stuff!

It kinda brought up the question, what kind(s) of alloys are used in the Alfa
motor?
I have a kind of a long splinter on the edge of one cap, apparently from the
forging process, and though it looks scary, it's going to take lots of force to remove. The thing rings like a tuning fork, and even though it's very thin, is hardly bendable with your finger. It acts much more like steel, than the aluminum I've dealt with.

I know there's dozens of Al alloys out there.. was wondering if there is a listing
of various ones for various parts.

Just curious..

Jon

Tom Sahines wrote:

Get a piece of aluminum sheet, soft 1/16" thick. Cut a strip about an inch wide and 4 inches long. Put it over the center of the cap (I assume #2 and #4 are the problem). Clamp a vise grip over the cap (the aluminum strip protects the bearing cap) and use a scewdriver from the edge of the crank to pry off the cap. If you can not pry then use a slide hammer on the end of the vise grip. Harbor freight makes a nice slide hammer kit that has an adapter to mount the slide to a vise grip.

Tom Sahines ARA tech hot line.