Subject: Sherical bearings in trailing arms (was urethane)

> I'm surprised by this.  My '71 GTV vintage race car has metal bushings at
both ends of the trailing arms.  They have sperical joints to allow a full
range of movement, but >no longitudinal compliance at all.

As mentioned here before, it's very important that one makes the
distinction between spherical "rod end" or Heim joint" style bearings and
metal bushings. The trailing arm mounts will take fore and aft loads only.
They aren't designed for, nor will they take lateral loads. Using co-axial
cylindrical metal bushings is a definite no-no. In addition to spherical
bearings in the trailing arms, I've got a sherical bearing in the T-bar,
also. I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head, but I suppose I
could have a look.

I should mention that while all of this spherical bearing business will
make the rear suspension track the factory geometry more precisely, it
doesn't do anything to improve the factory geometry, which, to be perfectly
frank, kind of sucks. Likewise, it bears mention (though I'll surely be
labelled a wet blanket) that the flimsy-flexy spider chassis (and bracing
thereof) have been flogged here before.

BTW, what happened to those fellows with space for the chassis tests? The
black car is slated for scrap....