Re: wire wheels

Maybe, but there are some cars that I simply cannot imagine without them. Can you see any 50's or early 60's V-12 Ferrari without wires? Imagine a 250 Lusso Berlinetta with cast wheels. Yechhh!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 10:11 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:53:29 -0600
From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
Subject: wire wheels

Are a nightmare. With the invention of cast or forged alloy wheels, there
is no reason to suffer the tribulations of wire wheels. Performance
motorcycles have switched. Some bicycles have switched (though the low
maintenance regimen wires). No doubt cast alloy wheels descended from those
enormous alloy drum brakes on older cars. In any event, wire wheels are
cosmetic only. From an engineering perspective they belong in the museum.

Cheers

(saw a red Countach today, in pieces at my Alfa mechanic, along with a 355
intact and a 348 on the hoist. Strange, there was a very quick looking
Porsche 911 on a hoist also, sans engine, Hmmm)
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner