R&T

I got my last issue of Road & Track yesterday.  I've subscribed since Feb
1965.  Time was, getting it in the mail was a high point in the month, and
I had the issue read before I went to bed that night.  By 1969, I owned my
Abarth and looked forward to the annual mention if the marque.  By 1971 I
had my 1750 Berlina and looked forward to the occasional Alfa article.  I
didn't necessarily agree with what they wrote, however.  Their comparison
test of the 1750 Berlina, 2002, and ??? was a load of crap.  Put an
optional 5 speed and injected engine in a BMW, run the cost up to $6000,
and compare it to an Alfa with its standard equipment, and sure the BMW can
come out on top.  As emissions and safety regs were implemented, car and
the magazine got less interesting.  Now, the cars are better, but the mag
isn't.  Something about all those pheromone and steroid ads in the back
tell me the dollar and not the enthusiast is what they are catering to.

Mike in Texas