Mystery Washer in GTV6 Oil Sump

Hi All,
   My GTV6 was recently stranded on the side of an Interstate with a
severely leaking fuel injector (long story - watch for the made-for-TV movie
this Fall).  With the offending injector replaced, I reinstalled my
right-side fuel rail last night.  My oil reeked of gasoline, so after
briefly running the engine to warm the oil, I drained the sump.  Instead of
the usual big round stream of oil coming out of the drain hole, the oil
splattered all over the place *before* hitting the catch pan.  Something
seemed to be interfering with the flow of oil.  After the big rush subsided,
I stuck my finger into the drain hole and discovered what seems to be a
large metal washer lying in the bottom of the sump, above the drain hole.
   The washer's O.D. is large enough to prevent me from removing it through
the drain hole.  The I.D. is smaller than the drain hole.  The washer feels
like its about 0.10" thick.
    Does anyone have an explanation as to what the heck this washer is
from??  Does this mean my oil pump is preparing to fall into the bottom of
the sump (oil pressure has been fine)?  Or is this a Milan subway token that
the engine assembler dropped in there for good luck?
    I suppose that this washer has been riding around down there for years.
While I doubt that it will cause mayhem, it seems a bit unnatural to have a
half dollar sized hunk of metal loose inside the engine.  So, my next
question is - Is there any trick or hazard associated with removing the flat
alloy bottom from the oil sump? [Go ahead, cue the sinister laughter.]
    Thanks in advance.
Bert Neily
Raleigh, NC, USA
'84 GTV6 with bumpersticker: "I Survived the Virginia Wine Tour - Barely"