Berlina seat belt adjustment

Okay...I've been trying to hold off on asking this question, primarily out of embarrassment. I'm a reasonably mechanically capable guy, but adjusting the seat belts to fit myself (and my passengers) in our 1969 Berlina has been difficult from the beginning. On a recent trip to the Palm Springs Car Classic, we wasted a good 20 minutes idling in the driveway while we attempted to pull this and hold that and tighten here and loosen there, and we mostly ended up pulling out our hair.

Anyone, please?

***
James P. Reza
1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina