From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Gowin, Lawrence
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 11:51 AM
To: glennwa@domain.elided
Cc: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: RE: '93 Spider Veloce vs. '71 Euro GTV?

Any comparison between a GTV and a Spider would be completely
subjective.  Do you want a coupe or a convertible?  Do you want a modern
driving experience or a more vintage one.  Ok, so that's a stupid
question considering the cars involved.  Do you want a car with modern
amenities like AC and power windows or do you want window cranks and
vent wings?  This is almost like asking if you should date a blonde or a
brunette.  The GTV is a 30 year old car with 40 year old technology.
The Spider is a 10 year old car with a more complex engine management
and electrical system.  The GTV has fewer items to break but I'm sure a
'93 Spider can be a reliable car.  Any depreciation you're worried about
with the spider can easily be exceeded with a significant repair on the
GTV.  Regarding safety, I don't know that I would want to wreck either
car though Alfa may have improved the crumple zones in the 30 years
between the cars in question.

That said, I've got a '71 GTV and it is orders of magnitude better than
a '93 Spider.  Only a fool or a poseur would take a Spider over a GTV!
But that's just my personal opinion...

Cheers,

Lawrence

Lawrence Gowin