Re: Alfa Spider Taillight redesign

original message

Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 20:43:30 -0400
From: Gilbert Gagne <gilgagne@domain.elided>
Subject: Alfa Spider Taillight redesign

This item may not appeal to all Alfisti, and certainly not the
"purists" but when my series 3 Spider needed repainting recently I
replaced the original black rimmed tailights and air deflector with
simple LED type round taillights, two on each side. They are trimmed
in polished stainless. It may not win any Concours but I find the effect
quite pleasing. I also get a few "what kind of car is that?"
A picture can be downloaded from my internet service provider at:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/i/gilgagne/spi_rear.jpg
Gil
1985 Spider
Port Orange,FL

Amazing!

You beat me to it!

I have had that very same thought in mind for my Spider for a couple of years now.

I think it first occured to me while sitting behind a Dallas city bus, they have black rimmed ones that look very small on those vehicles. They seem like they would fit perfectly on a Spider (roughly 80's Ferrari taillight proportions).
Mines a '78 and I always thought the rear end was the only real sore spot in the design (huge ugly safety bumper and rectangular taillights).

I was unable to load your page, I think you got too many hits. Can't wait to see how yours turned out.

I have a couple of photos of a nicely done custom Spider with a Zender kit and what look like actual Ferrari taillights, they are a little large on a Spider (and it makes it look like it is trying to BE a Ferrari). Taking design cues is one thing, but the actual parts?

Ignore the purists who are bound to spit forth their fury over it! To each his own, as it should be.

Speaking of mods, what ever happened to the possibility of carbon fiber bumpers and dashboards?

Tony Martie
78 Spider
http://tmpd.net