Re: 164: squeaky headliner?

My 164 has a squeak that's coming from under the headliner just behind
the sunroof area. Sounds like a squeaky bed spring. Any ideas on how
to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Ross (1991 164L)

I've Long suspected a loose Sunroof mechanism. The sound ours makes an annoying noise in the deflector open position when fully 'opened'. If it backed in just a bit from full open it is quiet. Maybe there is some adjustment or some kind of nylon washer to take up the slack? If yours is making noise whilst closed check slack in the linkage (speculation) or check to see if the roof mechanism is cracked or broken, (I've seen that on a car that was loaned to me)

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX