torsion bar installation

I've run into a snag trying to install new torsion bars in my 85 gtv6. These are large bars wherein you need to remove the lower a-arm to install. I've got the old bars out and slid the new new bars in the rear crossmember. When I put the a-arm on the front of the torsion bar so that it is parallel to the garage floor, I'm not able to fit the two bolts thru the a-arm and into the frame rail.

Is there a trick to fitting these bolts?

Please reply direct as I'm desperate to finish the installation this weekend.

Feel free to call collect if you think you could help more easily over the phone. 301-824-3588

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD