RE: Spring Removal, Spider

Dion Fields referred to a spring compressor for removal of the front
springs from a Spider but there is a safer and easier way: Temporarily
replace each of the four bolts holding the front lower spring pan with
a short 4" length of 5/16 - 18 threaded rod with a washer and nut at
each end. At one end, after the nut is on, distort the rod threads so
the nut cannot be removed; install these "bolts" so the free nut ends
are on the underside of the spring pan. Now sequentially "unthread"
the nuts, two or three turns at a time untill the spring pan is fully
lowered and there is no more tension on the spring. Re-install the
spring reversing the procedure.
Gil
I've still never seen the Alfa spring compressor in person or in a picture, well the front one anyway..

I just lowered mine (finally) myself, a few notes..

I spent major time obsessing over how strong the allthread rods needed
to be, then finally found a source of load ratings.. the hardened
B7 grade stuff I was looking at is good for 4000 lbs??!!??

OK.. guess I don't need the special stuff.. ;-)

I did end up using 3/8" for one worthy reason.. it's 16 threads to the inch, so less turns! Part way thru this, you WILL be wishing you spent the big bucks for 12 tpi Acme threaded rods..

I got some Grade 5 nuts, since I figured strength is important there, and used the time hounored lock two nuts together on the shaft technique for the top fixed nut. It came in handy, since the back two bolts have no or nearly no clearance to drop them in from the top. So, rod up thru the bottom, nuts and washer on, lock with a pair of wrenches.. and on to the other end.

The washers were a certain 5/16" that fit on a 3/8" shaft, but were about 3/4" in dia, small enough to fit flush under the rim of the spring pans.

They also were about .100" thick, and 9 or 10 on the bottom side made a nice spacer to bring the under pan nut out enough to make for easy clearance for a straight wrench.

I bought 50 in bags, cost just a few bucks. Just about all of the 3/8" washers were so big they wouldn't lay flat under the pan, and had a lot of slack around the rod. Hey, these are acting as thrust bearings!
I want as much area as I can get! As well as a nice smooth finish..

The other thing about the rods.. I found some 10" sections, they were a little longer than needed.. but 4" will probably be too short, unless your springs are fairly lower than stock. My (pretty sure) stock springs needed nearly 8" to go slack. I guess you could go half way down, then finish with a floor jack... but it's still less safe.

Sawing a 3' piece of rod into 4 pieces would be about right at 9" each, as well. Save a little space that four 1 foot rods would use.

It went pretty easy though not very fast.. you'll learn how much is the optimum amount to loosen at a time.. I got into a pattern of lowering two on one side, getting up, laying down on the other side, and doing those two for 2-3 turns. etc.. Hint: get a block of foam or something as a shop pillow! My neck got a MAJOR workout doing this! ;-)

I guess I'll be fondly remembering how much easier lowering was, when I finish the bushings and crank the springs back up! Maybe some Teflon grease will be a worthwhile investment..

Hope it helps!

Jon
77 Spider