Re: converting BACK to spica

In a message dated 4/23/03 1:59:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Todd writes:

<snip>
>  I am attempting to convert my spider BACK to spica from webers ...
<snip>
- Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<snip>
>  thermostatic actuator (is this part of the pump?)
- Get a rebuilt one, they fail slowly over time and the system runs rich when
it does. People try to 'adjust' the rest of the system to compensate for a
failing T-actuator, but it just ends up being totally out of whack and the
car never runs properly. Buy a new one and install it from the start. It's
two pieces that bolt into the SPICA pump and the water jacket in the
manifold, they're connected by a thin tube containing a mystery fluid (part
of your newbie training is to search the archives and find out what it is).
DON'T BEND THE TUBE! (<-- Fred tribute)
>  spica belt
- Buy a new one, they're cheap.
>  fuel pump (are there two??)
- Yes, there are two. The one just forward of the tank is designed for the
higher SPICA system pressures, so you should ensure you have the proper one
to install. Carb fuel pumps run at lower pressures and (generally) higher
volumes. The 'other' fuel pump is, of course, the SPICA unit itself.
> Anything else I should look out for?
- There are two fuel filters - one between the tank and the electric fuel
pump and a big canister type in the engine bay next to the SPICA pump. You
won't find OEM rear filters anymore, they're long gone from the scene.
However, aftermarket filters are available at reasonable prices. The large
canister filter element is available from many sources. My favorite filter
supplier is WIX and the P/N for the rear is: P/N 33161 (an alternate P/N is
33299). You will have to source the canister portion from your donor car or
other source.

- Also, this is a really good time to replace all the nonmetallic fuel hose
with new. Use the proper high-pressure fuel hose, it's available at most
local parts stores.

Let me offer you my hearty congratulations on returning this car to its
proper configuration and glory! :-)

Tom
Seattle
6310123
7711615

PS - Fred would ask you to PUT YOUR NAME, LOCATION, AND CARS AT THE END OF
YOUR POST SO WE CAN BETTER ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS! But you knew that already,
didn't you? :-)