Need Spider gas tank

A cute gal came by the other day to pick up a pair of diagonal seat
belts for her 'new' '78 Alfa Spider. When looking at her car I noticed a
big puddle of gas forming at the rear.

Being suave and oh so politically correct, told her if she wasn't so
darn cute I'd tell her to take it back to her mechanic. So I crawled
under (the car) and saw the major leak was coming from the side of the
tank. Her mechanic had just installed a new exhaust system and the rear
muffler was whacking against it. I couldn't do much but the old bailing
wire trick and wired the exhaust so it wouldn't hit the tank (and
hopefully stop the gas from running down it).

Bottom line her mechanic agreed the gas tank was rusted out and she
needs a new one. He didn't agree that the muffler had a thing to do with
it. I just emailed her to say, "Yeah, the tank is rusty but the muffler
should never hit the tank."

I don't have Spider parts manuals for the 'more modern' Alfas, so all I
can say is she needs one for a '78 - preferably somewhere in So. Cal,
better yet, San Gabriel Valley. The '79 in my shop has a cover over it
(hers doesn't) so couldn't compare.

I gave her APE's number (not sure why her mechanic wasn't familiar with
them) but this is her daily driver / only car and she needs a good tank
soon.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA