V6 valve adjustment

Hi All,
The GTV6 is due for a valve checkup and I've never done one myself before.
It looks pretty straightforward, as long as the clearances are within
reason, but I am wondering if there's any listers here who can offer some
sage 'AMHIK' type of advice.  I'd ask Skip, but it happens that I don't have
any digests lingering around that have his current email address (Note:
Thanks again for your HUGE help last time, Skip!).  Of the silly questions I
have:
+does it make sense to slather the cover/plug gaskets with a friendly
silicone?
+Mr. Braden's book mentions acceptable clearance tolerances of 5thou, an
order of magnitude over the factory spec... does this make sense and is it
acceptable for the v6?

Thanks in advance!!!
Darren
'83 GTV6