Re: Spider radios (was Alfa for college student)

Just as a point of reference, I bought both my 82 and now the 79 spider
with DIN sized radios in the dash.  Neither car is going to fall apart
from a DIN radio in the dash.  A DIN sized Sony CD deck fits just fine.

  In the 79 I have an amp in the trunk, 5 1/4" speakers on the rear deck
and 5" speakers in the footwells.  With the top and windows down, it
still makes it really hard to hear at speeds above 80 mph.

-Peter

> >3. Radios. In 1986 Alfa changed the Spider interior. Prior to that
>the stock radio was the typical 3 hole shafted unit and the radio
>opening was in a pretty substantial metal panel, so IMHO it did
>contribute the stiffness of the dash area. Personally, I'm not sure I'd
>cut the opening to make it DIN size (I'm facing that decision with my
>'83 Spider and I'm not sure what I'm going to so). Someone with a post
>'85 Spider can tell you whether the radio opening was changed, but I
>recall that it was. One note -- there's not a lot of depth back there
>in any event. Speakers -- there's no room in the doors if the car has
>power windows. You can get 4" into the footwells and the rear deck can
>hold 5 and 1/4" even with the Bosch brainbox in the way. I'd consider
>surface mount tweeters for the front corners of the doors if you can
>find some small and unobtrusive enough. SPICA cars don't have the rear
>deck issue since there's no brain box. You can probably fit a small amp
>into the trunk area where the jack and the evaporative canister reside.
>Basically, since it's a ragtop, *great* sound is problematic, but decent
>sound should be achievable. I don't remember when Alfa changed
>alternator sizes, but I'd be concerned if you want to have an
>ear-shattering system --I think the Milano alternator and the later
>Spider ones are 65 amp units, but I could be wrong. > >Bill Bain >AROC
Atlanta >'83 Spider >'87 Milano >