re: 164s terrible for lawnmowers

At 11:16 PM +0000 4/15/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:36:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Danny" <dmpham@domain.elided>
Subject: 164s terrible for lawnmowers

Now that the rwd. vs. fwd. thread has begun again, I have a question regarding SUVs(yes, I need to carry stuff). I have a 164 that I can carry people in, but its really awful to carry bricks, lumber, painting material, and lawnmowers around in. What do you all suggest to be a good vehicle to carry construction material in? I live in the city and dont quite trust an open bed truck. Turn around and someones scooped your tools out of the bed! So what do you suggest? A hatch, station wagon, or SUV? Only criteria is its cool, reliable, and inexpensive to drive. I do own an Alfa you know! E-mail me offline need be

That's an easy (if off-topic) question to answer until you threw "cool" in there, at which point it becomes totally subjective. The obvious answer is a Volvo 240--tough as bricks, bigger cargo area, and much cooler than any truck/SUV, although it may not be cool enough for you. In which case the Peugeot 505 is just as robust and utilitarian, and potentially more fun to drive and be seen in, but I can't speak for parts availability in the USA. If you need even more space, the last RWD Volvos (940/960), and the earlier 740/760 have even bigger cargo bays.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6
(Mom has a Volvo 240, but only because Peugeot didn't offer the folding third row seat in the USA in '86.)