If you start the car, and the belt breaks due to being worn away from friction, you will INSTANTLY trash the engine. Open valves, stuck open due to the camshafts no longer turning, will collide with the still moving pistons. Bent/broken valves, ruined heads and holed pistons and possibly broken connecting rods will be the immediate result. Take no chances, a complete rebuild on an Alfa V-6 will cost you at least six-grand. DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 10:01 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dio Genio <diogenio@domain.elided>
Subject: V-6 Timing Belt Burning Smell?

I am new owner of a Milano Platinum and am just
getting used to my first V-6. I've noticed the
distinctive, unmistakable smell of burning rubber only
when I'm accelerating and RPMs go over 4,000. It
appears to be coming from the engine compartment, but
it is difficult to tell since the car needs to be
under load.

At first I thought it might be the fan belts, but they
all seem plenty tight. Can a timing belt make this
smell when it is either worn, too tight or too loose?
The belt is over 30k old and the tensioner has been
replaced with a "164" style, which I believe has an
internal spring to compensate for engine temperature.

Or, can the Guibos make this kind of rubbery smell if
they are starting to self-destruct? Any thoughts?

Thaks,

DENNIS
http://search.yahoo.com