Painting...(of course it's) long

In #405 Graham Spencer asks, in essence, what should I look for in a
body / paint shop.

Jeff Greenfield, Brian Shorey, Bob Perez, and Steve Smith offer
extremely good and valuable advice.

While I'm aware the car in question is a GTV6, some of my comments
pertain more to Spiders.

Yes of course have all panels removed as it is virtually impossible to
properly color sand and polish with them on. And yes, even properly
clear coated cars require color sanding and polishing. Do love the
string under the windshield gasket tip. Though would be a good time to
replace the windshield if it's needed.

Do remove parts yourself if (a) there is no body damage - especially in
the front and (b) you feel you know more than the bodyshop. (b) is not
meant to be a smartass statement. You can't imagine how many 'merican
bolts and nuts I remove (and replace with metric). However if it is a
top-notch shop and you're paying top-notch prices, let them do it (which
then includes them being responsible for any paint scratches).

If there is body damage, (this especially pertains to Series 1 and 2
Spiders), Do Not remove exterior parts. Let the shop repair (be
responsible for) the damaged pieces And that they fit properly on the
completed body. A tiny for instance: I've never seen a bodyshop properly
repair the upper edges of the openings for the front grills on Series 1
Spiders. Once those front bumpers have been repaired and polished, they
act as mirrors for what is above them - meaning the whole world will see
how raggedy the upper edges really are.

If you want, use a silicone remover on the paint - and rub the residue
off with clean rags / paper towels. Do Not (in my opinion) rough up the
paint. The ideal situation for the bodyshop is to have a fairly shiny
car, remove wax / silicone (again), then using a 16" file with either
150 or 80 grit sandpaper go over the entire car. All of the low and high
spots will then be very evident to the body guy. Yeah, a good sensitive
hand is important, but it's nice to have a visual second opinion.

Without going farther, you might want to look at
http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR60SpdPaint.html. I even include 'recipes'
for the do-it-yourselfers. There is also some additional body and paint
pontificating on the Biba Resto site.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA