Painting - Secret pleasures

I think Jeff's comments are spot on and happily support what has been a
secret pleasure of mine for years.  It's preparation, preparation,
preparation.  Few years ago, I bought an 86 Graduate that had sustained hail
damage and was subsequently written off by the insurance company.  Through
the dimples, I was very impressed with the paint job and surprised when the
PO said MAACO.  I had seen MAACO work before but not like this.  I asked
which MAACO and paid them a visit.  Outside sat a beautiful series 3 Veloce.
I asked the owner if the "shooter" who had painted my newly aquired car was
still there.  The answer was, Yes and the rest if great history.

This painter and This MAACO was great.  After I did the prep work and
removed almost all trim, he painted the car and for $400, it made the $2000
paint jobs seem way over priced.  I had the same good fortune with two other
cars and the same painter.

Here's the key - look at cars that have been painted by the shop.  I am
usually not too concerned about masking errors because they can be fixed if
the overall job is good.  Also, is it single stage or two stage.  Most shops
like MAACO only do single stage and that covers most older Alfas.  There are
seven MAACOs listed in my local yellow pages - I would trust only one with
my Alfas.

PS - MAACO "Porsche Red" is a dead ringer for IRR - Italian Racing Red.

Ciao Tutti,

Don