Re: painting

All together, some very good suggestions so far.

Another reason to remove all the trim, lights, etc. that you can is that if there are hidden rust spots, you'll probably uncover them under the trim, lights, etc.

If you have the time, space, and cooperative spouse, I'd try to do as much of the prep work as you can.  It takes a true artist to spray a car and get a good result; on the other hand, you can teach yourself how to use sandpaper.  A good rule of thumb as told to me by someone who went through the process was "Sand and prep the car until it seems you've done a ridiculous amount of work on it; then do that much again."

Remember, you don't charge yourself for labor, and when it comes to getting the car prepped and masked off, no one will be as picky when it comes to your car as you will.

- Paul Witek
CBA (Currently Between Alfas)