Re: Digest - GTV6 Power Steering

Well, William, I don't know what you mean by a "primer" on Vermont =Rhode Island, that wasn't ------ wait a minute, V=RI, Ah, Ohm's Law! Frankly, I've never heard that particular mnemonic before. What's that, military? I did learn Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, but Violet Gives Willingly for the universal color code, but not Vermont=Rhode Island. I did learn this one:

I R

Where you cover the one you want to solve for with your finger. It has helped these aging memory cells on more than one occasion!

Anyway to the Power Steering.

First of all, we GTV-6 owners get some luck (for once). The suspension on a Milano Verde and the suspension on a GTV-6 are identical. That means that the ZF power steering rack for a Verde not only fits in place of a manual GTV-6 rack, it mounts in the same holes and connects to each wheel's tie-rod ends without modification. What it does NOT do is connect directly to the GTV-6's steering column which IS different from the Milano. There are three choices here: Replace the GTV-6 column with a Milano column, cut both a Milano column and a GTV-6 column in half and TIG weld the Milano lower portion to the GTV-6's upper column, or use the adapter that Alfa Parts Exchange makes up. The first one is messy. It means you have to replace the GTV-6's steering wheel with a Milano steering wheel and replace all the GTV-6 column switches (lights, turn signals, wipers) with the Milano stalks. the second one is less messy, but the GTV-6 steering must still come out, the TIG weld must be absolutely straight, and the welded-up column is difficult to place. The third alternative is the one I used. APE replaces the lower joint on the GTV-6 column (the one that's inside the car's footwell) with a composite that's GTV--6 above the U-joint and Milano below it. This works almost perfectly. I say almost perfectly, because the one I got was just a scoche too long, and we had to shorten it. I suspect that the ones APE cobbles-up in the future will be more correctly sized -mine was the first one they sold, I understand. Now, there are two ways to go on the pump and the rack (or any combination thereof). You can buy the whole ball of wax from APE, or you can buy a new (remanufactured, actually) pump and rack from International Auto Parts for about $800. The problem with the "new" pump and rack option is that you get NO hoses, no fluid reservoir, and no mounting bracket for the pump. While you can buy a new rack-to-reservoir hose from IAP ($90), the bent steel tubing pressure lines are NOT available from them. If you buy the whole ball of wax from APE (I don't know what APE charges because my PS "kit" came as part of a package deal along with the new 3.0 liter engine and a new air-conditioning pump as well), you get almost everything. The problem with this second solution is that the rack may or may not leak. APE tries to weed-out the leaking racks, but there is no guarantee. The pumps, OTOH, are all probably OK. My mechanic says that they don't fail very often. If you do buy a complete "system" from APE, ask them to include a fluid reservoir and mounting bracket from a 164. This can be mounted to the inside fender wall on the driver's side using a couple of stand-offs cut on a bias to set vertically against the slope of the fender. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that because of where the PS pump mounts on the engine, you lose that huge windshield-washer tank on the drivers'-side fender wall. The PS fluid reservoir fits there in it's stead. If you carefully work out where the reservoir is mounted, you might be able to squeeze a late model spider's windshield-washer bottle in next to it, but most likely you'll have to order one of the older plastic bag-type washer reservoirs from IAP or do without. I chose the latter - for now.

Of course all of this is much easier if you have the engine out BUT it can be installed with the engine just lifted a bit from it's motor mounts (so my mechanic tells me).

The installation works well, and needless to say, it transforms the car. It's not just that the steering heaviness is gone, but that it's much quicker as well. The standard GTV-6 steering rack givers one 3.5 turns lock-to-lock. While not exactly '49 Buick territory, its nothing to write home about and makes the car much more suited to the freeway than it is on back country roads. This is a shame, because otherwise the chassis is quite agile. The Power Steering, on the other hand, is 2.3 turns lock-to-lock, making turn-in crisper and the car is much easier to negotiate on mountainous twisties without being "twitchy" in normal driving. Alfa chose the steering ratio well for the Milano and it suits the mechanically similar GTV-6 equally well.

Good luck.