RE: Ohm's Law

>But if the resistor (connection) is in series with the wiper motor, and
>the wiper motor draws a constant amount of current, then won't
>increasing the resistance result in a higher current draw through the
>whole circuit (since the wiper motor still draws the same amount of
>current across it's connections)?

>I've seen bad wiper motor connections cause fuses to blow.  Maybe it's a
>violation of Ohms law, but it's worth looking at.

The motor doesn't draw a constant amount of current. The current that flows
through the motor is completely dependent on what the total resistance is
(10 volts across 10 ohms will always be 1 amp). The deal with dirty
connections and blown fuses is that the grime and corrosion mixed with
moisture, grease or oil creates an electrical path to ground and that
actually lowers the total resistance so more current flows. That extra
current isn't flowing through the motor though.

This whole topic of blown fuses is really timely as I'm sorting out the
wiring in my Spider now and it's a pretty daunting task, much more
challenging than I had expected. I've got an 11x17 inch copy of the wiring
diagram taped to an old drafting board and clamped in the vise on the bench
and I'm getting REAL familiar with it! I've already gone through about 3
boxes of 8 amp fuses - I've got a short in the lighting circuit somewhere.
Also, the heater blower runs with the ignition switch off but you have to
turn the switch on to get the emergency flashers to work.

Looks like I'm gonna be at this for awhile...

Finally got all the trim over to the plating and polishing shop, it's gonna
set me back about $560 and that doesn't include the rear bumper which he
told me has had it.

So, anybody got a line on a decent rear bumper? Probably could use anything
from a '71 to a '74 but would like to get a '72 with the integral license
plate lights.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi