California smog

> So, I wonder how they intend to enforce the mileage limits?  We don't
> (currently) have to report mileage when renewing registeration, and if
> there's no visit to a smog check station, how is anyone going to know
> you're only driving 12K miles per year or less?

Egg-zactly what came to my mind. They'll force an odometer check instead of a smog check(?). The intent of the law is now much more friendly, but enforcement & monitoring is a different story. Emissions are harder to fake than the odometer reading, for those so inclined.

I see a budding market on eBay for used low-mileage odometers and websites dedicated to DIY odometer swaps just before and after the biannual odometer check...

(Now, who wants to speculate how many cars of that age exceed 12K miles per year...very few. Throw SB708 in the garbage as it now won't impact the air quality to a measurable extent.)

Karl