Motor Oil changes in older engines

Esteemed Digesters,

I usually sigh and scroll-down when I see particular sorts of postings, including motor oil and Axl Rose bashing.  Now it's my turn!

My sorta-faithful original owner 70K mile, 1995 164LS has always had Selenia synthetic since new. Since it's no longer available in the Republic of California, I switched to Castrol Syntec. I chose Castrol over Mobil 1, as I heard Mobil had the propensity to cause an older engine to start leaking.

Guess what? Mine is leaking on it's first filling of Castrol.

- Is the rumor true that Mobil changed it's formula recently to reduce this sort of problem?

- Are there any specific experiences or recommendations that you'd like to share? (Switch to Mobil, stay with the Castrol, spend a fortune to fix the leak, keep oiling the highways...)

Off line replies welcome...

Thanks,
Karl
Sunnyvale, CA ($33 for a filling of Chevron 91 this morning!)