Alfetta Drive Shaft Balancing Issue, revisited.

I was just over at my mechanic's shop and he showed me an official Alfa Romeo Service Bulletin #89.1 that shows, incontrovertibly, that Alfa used a combination of washers and double-nuts on the giubos (doughnuts) to balance the assembly. I've seen this mentioned here before, but I've also seen a flurry of counterclaims posted to the effect that this is mythology and so much stuff and nonsense. Well, this service bulletin should put an end to the debate. The factory DID use a combination of different weight washers and sometimes doubled-up on the nuts to get the balance right. This also should lay to rest any notions that hose clamps on the shaft itself won't work. If the factory used different weights of hardware on the five bolts securing each giubo in order to balance them, then any eccentric weight applied to the drive shaft after the fact should have an equally balancing effect.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6
now with 3.0 liter 'S' engine
and Power Steering