RE : Spider windshield installation

Paul,

on the GTV, the chrome trim is also held on by the rubber
gasket, but i am not sure about the Spider.  if so, then the
rubber needs to be installed onto the glass, then the trim onto
the rubber.  now, here is an excerpt from my headliner posting
from a few months ago to describe the install procedure :

" finally, i used the "rope trick" to install the big windows.  with
the pre-assembled window/trim/gasket, i stuffed 3/16" synthetic
rope in the slot of the gasket.  now here i messed up the first
time.  it seems there are two grooves in the gasket besides the
ones for the glass and the metal trim.  use the deeper one !    i
found out the hard way when the windshield was 3/4 the way on !
i also used a little dish soap between the glass and the gasket,
and on the flange of sheetmetal on the car to ease installation.
without this, on my first failed attempt, i learned how the rubber
sticks to the window frame and will not float around to allow
proper alignment of the assembly.  i also used a string instead
of rope the first time and found that it dug into the rubber
severely."
" so,  i wrapped the rope around the glass assembly in the
deep groove, with the ends overlapping at the bottom.   with
my trusty helper ( Dad ) we lifted the assembly into place while
holding the rope ends, and set the center of the bottom groove
over the sheetmetal flange.  then, while he pushed on the
ouside, i slowly pulled the rope out of the groove from the inside, which pulled the gasket over the sheetmetal lip.  the top corners
were the difficult spots,  but with a little finesse and patience,  it
all went together nicely."

looking back, the soap i used as a lubricant will absorb water
and probably promote rust.  i like Brian Shorey's suggestion
of using vaseline.

hope this helps,

dion fields
73 gtv