broken axle limit strap

What is the risk of driving with a broken axle limit strap?
I've finally got my spider back on the road. It has been laid up for major
engine and transmission work since Christmas. I drove down the road to gas
it up and a strap broke.
I will be staying below 3500 rpm for a few hundred miles to break in the new
engine parts, so I won't be stressing the car for a while. Am I likely to
screw up anything by driving it while I get new straps?

Thanks,
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
1973 GTV
1979 Spider