belts and alternators

>.  I did hose them off well after replacing the broken hose
>clamp, but what's the general wisdom on this?  I'd be paying the pros
>for this job, as things are tight in there and I hear it takes a crowbar
>to set the tension, but I'll do it if I should.

Jeff, if it was a one time event, I doubt you hurt them, oil is a bigger
killer, it softens them. Changing the belts is a challenge, the alternator
is a pig to do. Just lots of work for a simple process.

The Japanese really could teach Fiat some technique, Subarus use a threaded
bolt to tension. A no-brainer. Alfa makes a nice motor that has oddities
like this alternator setup.
Not clever or smartly engineered, IMO.  I spent many hours this past
weekend doing a head gasket and water pump (11K miles!!! ) and it leaves
you a bit cynical.

The system works, it just seems that simple engineering is much more clever
to me than complex to do the same job.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA