re: 164 alternator issue

Doug,
    Are you sure it's actually the alternator?  Reason I ask is that
I've had some occasional issues with low voltage on my 164 (now at
180,000 mi; I may soon have to start dropping "occasional" from such
phrases).  The first time I noticed the gauge sometimes reading 12
instead of 14 when running, and dipping to 10 when starting.  At these
times, things like the sunroof would be slow, and the rear defroster
wouldn't work.  This was intermittent, and my mechanic cleaned some
engine bay grounds and fixed it.
    More recently (yesterday) I had a similar symptom, with the added
puzzler that the power steering got heavy.  When I looked under the
hood, the alternator was barely turning.  I had a broken radiator hose
clamp, and the dripping coolant was causing the belts to slip (but was
so slippery that they didn't squeal).
    So it's worth looking around under there and making sure the
mechanical bits are all in proper order before assuming it's an
electrical issue.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'91 164 L