Re: alfa-digest V9 #325

In a message dated 3/10/2003 11:33:10 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:10:04 -0500
> From: "Bain, Bill" <Bill.Bain@domain.elided>
> Subject: Mustang wheels on a Spider
>
> OK, after putting more wear on my new street dunlops than I'd like at
> the autocross yesterday, I've come to the conclusion that a second set
> of "performance" tires might be a good idea.  I can tow a small trailer
> since my Spider has a trailer hitch and I vaguely recall that certain
> Ford Mustang wheels can fit a Spider with minor modifications.  Is that
> any 4 bolt Mustang wheels or a particular type?  I searched the Digest
> but only found 1 reference to a car being prepped for the 2002
> Grassroots challenge.
>
> She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed is not about to spring for a set of 15x7
> panasports, so I'm looking to see if there's a low-cost option . . .
> TIA
>
> Bill Bain
> AROC Atlanta
> '83 Spider (fun in the parking lot!)
> '87 Milano (fun to drive generally!)

       To the best of my knowledge, all Ford four bolt wheels are 4 x 4 1/4
inches.   4.25 times 25.4 mm per inch gives 107.95 mm or real darned close to
the 105 / 115 series Alfa 4 x 108 mm  bolt pattern.
       Mustang 7 x 15 rims will fit the Alfa spider.  You have to cut the
chamfer on the back of the wheel out square to clear the axle stub on the
rear axle of the Alfa.  The cut is about 2 1/16 inch diameter (from memory)
and needs be only about 1/8 inch deep.  The cut could be make with a Dremel
tool, although I cut mine on a lathe.
       I put 225 50 15 tires on my lowered 82 spider.  I had to roll the
wheel well lips and I had to massage a few rub spots on the inner fender
wells with a BFH.  Do not force it, get a bigger hammer....  Smaller tires or
a taller Alfa would not require so many modifications.  Clearance in front
was fine with rolled lips, but I ran one degree negative camber, which gives
more clearance at the top.  Again, that was with huge tires.
       I donated a set of Mustang wheels to Eric Storhok's GRM spider
project.  I understand they found some lighter rims for subsequent years.
The Mustang rims are rather heavy, but they fit very nicely and they are
cheap.  I have paid from $80 to $225 for full sets of four wheels.
       Remember that 7 x 15 rims will throw your spider into street prepared
class at the autocross.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City