87 Spider Transmission Problem

Greetings All,
My 1987 Alfa Spider Quad pops out of first gear, as soon as I apply throttle.
It's ok if I start off very very slow and place barely any stress on it,  and
even then it sometimes pops out.  It also also grinds when going into second
and third if I shift too fast, (synchros?)  Could someone help me by telling
me exactly what steps to take in order to diagnose the problem?  I have not
wrenched this car before,   so perhaps it is over my head. Thanks.
Also wanted to say hello to Richard, I am originally from Colonie and miss my
old stomping grounds.
Note: this is my first post to the digest, so be gentle.
LES
larry NJ