164 Trans flange seals

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:09:29 -0800
From: "Ted Siverns" <tsiverns@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 Transaxle Leak

The flange seals on my 164 (1991 S) transaxle are both leaking. It looks
like they can be replaced without removing the transaxle but by removing
front fenders etc. Any advice? Anything to watch for? I presume this is
labour intensive ($). Ted, Vancouver, BC

I assume that you mean the flanges where the two drive shafts exit the
differential case?
If this is the case (ha ha ha ) then you can quite easily remove the
flanges.
Be very aware that my mechanic friend told me that my gearbox case went
bang because these two flanges were fitted badly. I'll find out what he
meant so this is a "dont rush in there" for the moment.
He or I could be wrong, you never know.
HTH
Jonathan