Re[2]: While we're on the subject of brakes . . . .

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:15:24 -0500 (EST) Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:00:38 -0500  "Bain, Bill" <Bill.Bain@domain.elided>
> wrote:
>
> > Perusing the Hawk application guide for pads, I noticed that the Spider
> > front calipers and the Milano front calipers take the same size pad (at
> > least per Hawk).  Can a Milano caliper be used on a Spider and would
> > there be any advantage?  Just curious

> milano calipers have a wider gap to account for the wider vented rotor.

> i don't recall if there's a spacer which can be removed or not. i also
> don't know if the bolt holes line up.

> the aluminum calipers would lead to less weight, which would always be
> worthwhile.

oh, look, i'm following myself up.

also be aware that the diameter and throw of the pistons in the calipers
may be different, which can alter the behavior of the total system as it
can alter the front-to-rear balance of the brakes.

an adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rear can be used to
take control over this issue.

richard