Syncro problem?

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is with my early ('64 105 non-moly) 5
speed.  I did not run it much, and it has not been used for about 10 years.  The
only think I remember is that the syncro(s) were really bad.  I think it even
ground on upshifts.  Not really sure which gears.

I split the case and its on the workbench.  The syncro sleeves/gears all have
nice sharp points, except second gear, which is sligthly rounded.  I'm not sure
how to tell if there is much syncro ring wear, but the grooves are clearly
visible and they all look about the same.  The fork wear is in spec.

It could be that it had the wrong oil type - thats easy to fix.

It was definitely rebuilt at one point, since there was a small amount of gasket
sealer (permatex #2?) oozing out the joints.  Could the syncros have been
assembled incorrectly?  They all look the same.  The quadrants move freely in
second, fourth and fifth, but only move part way in first and third.  Is this a
problem?  Do I need a full teardown to be sure?

Anything else I should check?

TIA,
John Basel
Bolton, MA