Tires and oil

Tires : The recent vintage tire test in GRASSROOTS MOTOR SPORTS was provocative but confusing. One reason for this was the numberless variables encountered from tire size to test vehicle, a Fiat.

At least two of us here in Wisconsin were ready to buy Kuhmos and retire out Hoorsiers. As i believe has been reviewed here before, the author/driver opinion given directly to a GTV racer was to stay with the Hoosiers. As I understood it, the Fiat's particular characteristics may have skewed results and conclusions.

OIL : our experience with oil and racing at YARD RACING is that Mobile 15-50 is a good choice. At the very least, one can be quite confident using this oil. Often, after breakdown at season's end, no observable wear had been. found on YARD RACING's engines. Oil is changed at least after every 2 race days.

This is not to say, of course, that other oils are worthless. (Again, all variables must go into the equation in any case.) Indeed, these oil conversations while interesting often result in driver's pointing out, as one of many differing examples, that they only use W30 straight Valvoline. Racing oil (much less "filler" per quart) for all applications with superior results. (!!!???) Endless varying examples are out there.

Ultimately I believe in scientific method only and find anecdote to be highly suspect.. Research results can be found on the internet.

OIL TESTING : I have been told on good authority (and credible anecdote ;-)) that the oil testing available can be extremely accurate and specific. Broad ranging and specific. 50 tests per sample. WWW.PEGASUSAUTORACING.COM sells such testing kits.

Approaching Armageddon : For those of you who wish to properly save your ass, PAGASUS also carries Racers' tape.

David