*I just finished doing research for an article on oil to appear in the April "Overheard Cams" and these are some of the things I learned from such sources as Castrol, Red Line, and Valvoline.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 11:19 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:34:38 EST
From: Iopsycheng@domain.elided
Subject: Re: alfa-digest V9 #308

Hey Gang,
I've been reading about all the horror stories concerning oil leaks when
switching to synthetic oils. Please lets get something straight! Synthetic
motor oil DOES NOT CAUSE LEAKS, nor does it attack and/or degrade gaskets and
seals! Improperly installed, poor quality or worn out seals and gaskets leak.
Synthetic oil is very high detergent... If there were a small leak in an
engine eventually some of the solid contaminants carried in suspension in the
oil would find its way to the leak and become deposited. Enough deposits my
eventually seal the leak. This is how products like radiator stop leak
actually work. Anyway, now the owner fills the crankcase with synthetic oil
and the high detergent capacity washes away the crud and presto! We have
leaks... Well, actually you always had leaks before, now you just know where
they are... I refreshed a 1957 Giulietta engine using many NOS gaskets and
seals. I have run the engine several weeks on Mobil 1, the garage floor under
the car is clean...
If you intend on using synthetic oil it would be nice to do it early in the
life of the engine but I believe the wear saved by synthetic oil will more
than offset the cost of an engine gasket set, a tube of gasket sealer and a
weekend spent tinkering.
Thomas Gonnella