Webers and smog in the 70s

I didn't see anyone mention this in the recent Webers v. Spica
smog-compliance discussion, but maybe I just missed it in the extensive
discussions.

Certain dual-carb (perhaps limited production) cars had some kind of
exemption from Calif smog checks, at least around 1978-1981.  (We probably
have discussed this before.) I think too there were only transfer checks
then, not biennial checks.  I had a Giuila Super (two Webers) back then, and
remember having eyeball checks but being exempted from tailpipe checks along
with twin-carb Lotuses and certain dual-carb 911s. Perhaps there were
others.  So maybe Ferrari was using this exemption for its limited
production cars?  And Alfa, always trying to get into the big time, maybe
figured it was going to be selling a lot of cars in the US any day now and
needed a more solid emissions-compliance base to build on for the future.
In 1985, my single-carb 1965 Giulia TI needed a transfer tailpipe smog
check, but not an every-two-year check.

Anyone have more specific recollections, or documentation, of this?

Andrew Watry