RE: Motor Oils

<snip>
> I won't switch to synthetic on an engine that has run for many miles
on
> non-synth because the older seals will allow the synth to leak (per
the
> recent motorcycle story).
<snip>

For the record..

I've switched to synthetic on more than one vehicle, with between 50k
miles and 120k miles on them, Alfa and non-Alfa.

In all but one case, consumption went up for a few thousand miles, then
went back to normal.  In all cases, none of the vehicles developed any
leaks.

I heard a rumor at one point that early synthetic oils didn't include
some seal swelling additive, or something like that, which contributed
to oil leaks, and that is not supposed to be an issue anymore.

At any rate, I haven't experienced leaks on any of the vehicles I've
switched over to synthetic.  I now run it in everything, including my
lawn mower.

bs