RE: Alfa Spica vs Ferrari Webbers

> If Honda could make carbs clean in 1985, then I find it hard to
believe that
> Alfa switched to FI so early purely for emissions reasons, but who
knows?  I
> wouldn't be surprised at all to find that the reason was sort of a
> combination of emissions sensitivity and just good 'ol performance
> technology.  Porsche and BMW were getting heavily into FI in the early
> 1970's, mostly for performance reasons, so perhaps Alfa did the same,
also
> knowing that eventually, emissions would require it anyway...

This has been discussed many times on this list, others have mentioned
that if the Spica was done for performance reasons then why were the
European cars sold with carbs (and higher HP) during the same years?

It's tough to compare Alfa to Honda, Alfa was getting more HP out of an
engine that was not that much larger than the Honda, who knows how much
Alfa might have had to strangle their performance to extend the sales of
the carbed cars under the increasing emissions requirements?

bs