SPICA history

Hi All,

I have a question for the historians on the list. Why did Alfa switch to SPICA from carbs in the US? I know that it was because of emissions, but I am wondering why they could not make carbs compliant. I ask this because Ferrari was able to keep carbs on the 308 until it switched to Bosch in 1980. Arguably the 308 was tuned for much higher performance then our 2000 yet still passed emissions.

Just curious,
Chris
Miami, FL