Re: Spider roll bar

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:50:11 -0500 Paul  Misencik <paul@domain.elided> wrote:
> If I'm going to run with the Mid-Atlantic Chapter and the BMWCCA and so
> forth,
> am I correct in assuming that the "street" roll bar sold by IAP and
> others is
> not acceptable?

standards vary from organization to organization, but most look to SCCA
standards these days. check with the tech folks for the places you plan to
run.

the SCCA generally wants to see 2" from the top of the helmet to the top of
the roll hoop. they also want to see a diagonal brace from the top corner
of the hoop to the bottom-other-side, and a lateral brace from side to side
at approximately shoulder height.

>  Do I have to get one of the SCCA-approved "race" bars
> from IO
> Port Racing or some other source?

be aware that the SCCA doesn't "approve" safety equipment. they set
standards which manufacturers then attempt to meet. the SCCA doesn't
inspect the equipment, and so can't be said to approve of it or disapprove
of it. anyone who refers to their gear as "SCCA approved" is engaged in
marketing BS.

> If so, will this bar interfere with
> the
> operation of the soft top in any appreciable way?

it certainly will. you will want to use a bolt in roll bar so that you
can unbolt it and remove it to facilitate putting the top up.

> Also, does anyone have a reccommendation on the best and/or most
> cost-effective choice?

Autopower has long been the standard for quick bolt in solutions. i'm not
100% happy with their recent miata roll cages, but they mostly have done
good work over the years. there are probably other sound bolt in solutions
for the spider as well.

richard