ignition timing

Thanks to everyone who offered me advice on getting my distributor timed. As
there were about 6 correct answers, I feel a bit of a fool for not seeing at
least one of them. My excuse is that it was late in the evening and I had
only had one beer.

One more related question. My engine is close to Euro spec - Webers/Euro
manifold/airbox, 10548 cams, Shankle headers, 10:1 Motronic pistons and
Shankle-Marelliplex distributor. The Euro cars have max advance of 37-40
degrees at 4600 rpm. I plan to set the ignition timing at the maximum
advance point and let the static timing take care of itself. I am thinking
that the higher compression pistons will require that the ignition be
retarded a little from the Euro mark. My guess is about 2 degrees. Can
anyone confirm that I am on the right track, or point me in another
direction?

Thanks,
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
1973 GTV