engine design...

This is an interesting debate, about pushrods vs overhead cam. (and hemi...)

I used to be a OHC person all the way, but since I've been working for Ford for 10 years, I've realized a few things.

1) About 90% of our customers don't care what kind of engine is under the hood. This is for the US, BTW, our European buyers are more discriminating. For the average US customer, I'd peg that closer to 75%, as the 90% is Ford buyers.
As long as the car starts, drives, and is able to get out of its own way, they are happy. I am totally serious here, I've seen the data, and while we continue to go in the direction of my second point, we still manage to sell cars.

2) A bad OHC design is always worse than a decent OHV design. The mention of the specific output of the Corvette is interesting- BTW, the ACTUAL number is 71hp/l- that engine makes 405hp. For engines larger than 5.0l, and made in quantities of real mass production, anything over 65 is quite good. Our 4.6l OHC is a piece of junk. A $1B mistake. Should have kept the 5.0/5.7 engine and improved it. The best the 4.6 4v can do right now is 69hp/l. Tell me that's better than that ancient 5.7L engine from GM???

3) All of these are with modern emissions, which probably would have sapped the V6 of some serious HP. To make that power and meet modern emissions level is amazing.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm