75 GT 1600 Jr. M: Voltage regulator.

When starting to tackle the mess a leaking brake master cylinder left on my left inner fender a few other things showed up - like the structural beam under the radiator having all but disappeared.

So now we are a year on and the engine is back in the repainted and welded engine bay. Things have been put back together and the engine has been fired up, although it starts as poorly as it always has. Need to gap the valves I guess.

Anyways. When wiring things up I realized that I don't have a voltage regulator sitting on the left inner fender (which is now looking nice and red after the peeling rubbery paint left by the brake fluid has gone). There has never been a voltage regulator there in the time that I have owned this car and I only realized that there probably should be one when going over the wiring diagram to get things to work again.

At first I thought that I might have a different type of alternator with a built-in regulator but it doesn't appear to be the case. How bad is this? Am I about to explode everything electric or slowly wear it down to the point where I need to change EVERYTHING? Wouldn't it have happened by now if it were a true problem?

Fred?

Jacob Haagerup,
Rotterdam, Nederland
'75 GT 1600 Jr. M 1.8