valve and ignition timing

Ed,
       You are a bit confused.  Valve timing and distributor timing are
independent - changing one does not change the other.  Well, OK, the
distributor and the cams both drive from the front of the crankshaft, so they
are related to that extent.
       Thomas Moll's suggestion to rotate the distributor shaft 180 is great.
 If the oil pan is not all buttoned up, you can also pull the oil pump and
turn it 180 degrees.  Or you can just move the spark plug wires around on the
distributor cap - not the best, but it will work fine.  It just looks funny
to the experienced mechanic.  The distributor cap itself will not fit on
backwards.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City