Re: alfa-digest V9 #262 - 74 GTV starter problem

       I am guessing it is the solenoid.  When the contacts become burnt,
they can stick together.  Try hitting the starter with a hammer next time it
happens.  That might knock the contacts apart.  Conversely, a starter that
will not engage often will if you smack it with a hammer while someone holds
the ignition key to start.
       Remember, hammers are not just for fixing Fords anymore.
       Or the ignition switch could be sticking.  Less likely, but possible.
Pull the small wire off the starter to test that.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City